Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Ybor's Got Sole




      
          It was a Friday night on Ybor City’s famed 7th Avenue, and I could barely set one foot in front of the other without stomping on the back of a club goer’s stiletto heels.  Crowds decked out in barely there spandex dresses and diamond encrusted Ed Hardy t shirts poured into clubs like Prana and Empire.  Semi bored, semi drunk twenty-somethings lit up Parliaments, and shuffled slowly in a huge line nearly at a standstill outside of Club Honeypot.   I could almost smell the cheap liquor and Axe body spray in the air.  A group of drunken sorority girls decked in matching “finally 21!” shirts cackled as they entered Habib Hookah lounge.  Smoke and incense poured into the air.  My friend Drew and I were en route to Coyote Ugly, a bar known for cheap shots and dancing girls. Always a good place to start the night.  We held hands as we maneuvered through the crowd.  



      I spotted a young man, probably around 25 years old and dressed in a concert t shirt and jeans headed toward us. I couldn’t tell from what direction he had come; all I noticed was the huge smile on his face.  He greeted us like he was greeting old friends he hadn’t seen in years.  “Guys! How’s your night goin ?!,” he exclaimed.  Drew and I were both polite, yet confused as to how we knew the guy.  

      
       The unnamed man glanced up and down Drew’s body stopping at his feet.  I laughed at the nervous look on my friend’s face, not familiar with being ogled.  “Hey man,” said the stranger, “what kinda shoes are those? They’re nice.”   Drew, confused even further because he was simply wearing old sneakers replied, “um, just Nikes.”    Quicker than I’d ever seen anyone move before, the man dropped to his knees, balanced his weight on his palms, and lifted one of Drew’s Nikes.  The man stuck his tongue out, and slowly, almost sensually licked the entire length of the bottom of the shoe as if it were an ice cream cone on a sweltering summer day.  Never before had I seen a 250 pound man look as terrified as my friend did.  Shocked, I looked down at the strange man’s glistening, spit smeared smile.  He looked satisfied, but seemed to be debating going for seconds on that Nike, but instead bolted up, and speed walked away from us, off to shock some more Ybor City patrons.  My friend had been yet another victim of The Tampa Bay Shoe Licker.


 
       Little is known of The Tampa Bay Shoe Licker.  He operates a facebook page, and goes by "Jamie."  There's a very good chance that he lives in Ybor City, because I've seen him there nearly every time I've visited Ybor.  When I ran into Jamie at Gaspar's Grotto recently, he explained that he enjoys licking men's shoes because "it's a submissive thing."  My friends and I argued over whether or not it's okay to enable Jamie by laughing and being a part of his shoe fetish.  Some said it was simply funny, and there was no reason to feel guilty because Jamie was enjoying himself.  Others felt unsure of supporting an unhealthy habit that possibly came about due to some form of mental illness.  Jamie is a tough guy to figure out, and his fetish is a very tough thing to comprehend.  But one thing's for sure .  He will make your trip to Ybor City impossible to forget.

    


6 comments:

  1. WHat?! Are you serious? A tampa Bay shoe licker. Hahaha. At first when I was reading this, I wasn't sure if this was for real but by the picture shown, I guess it is? I have never heard of the shoe licker but that's pretty disgusting wouldn't you say? Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really?! I wouldn't have believed this story without the picture and I am not going to lie I am extremely grossed out. The amount of germs on the bottom of someones shoes especially while walking around at night during club hours has to be outrageous! How does this guy not get sick?!?! Great title.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post made me laugh so much. I cant even tell you how great this made my normally boring, 3 hour lecture. Ive lived in Tampa the past 2 years or so and find myself in Ybor City every weekend, but I dont think Ive ever heard of the Tampa Bay Shoe Licker. You just made my day so much better! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the title of your post. You can never go wrong with a clever play on words. Not all people enjoy their personal space bubble to be invaded. I wonder if anyone has freaked out on him. You know, like kicked him in the face while he's attempting to lick your shoes or enforce a no touching rule. Wow, that's crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great title for this post. At first I didn't think it was going to be about a local shoe licker, I thought you were actually going to talk about some of the local spots in Ybor. I love the creativity in the play on words. I've never heard of the Tampa Bay Shoe Licker, until now. And I am slightly grossed out. I hope I never encounter this guy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LMAO. This is hilarious, that guy must have some immune system and a stomach to kill. I think i'd feel like I had been molested if some guy just licked the bottom of my shoe. I think I might have to go search for him the next time i'm in Ybor now. Thanks for this info.

    ReplyDelete